Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Twin Home Runs

Cliff plays in an adult baseball league.
Hardball.
He loves it.
I think he's crazy; however, as he dons his cleats every week I am 
often reminded of one of my Ol' Dad's favorite lines, 
"If you're too old to be a little crazy ... then maybe you're just too old."
He and eight other guys on his team (grown men, mind you) hit our amazing astro-turf field 
every Sunday evening and he always comes home with a big ole dopey smile on his face.
It honestly thrills my heart to see him having such good fun in the fresh air.  
He's played once under the lights and his fair share in the rain, 
but we've had a lovely summer so it's been a good season.
Ruby holding the 2 home run balls and Quinn holding the green bat!
Tonight was a great night on the diamond.
I walked over with the babies loaded into the double stroller and shortly after we 
arrived, Cliff's teammate, Tony, saw us at the fence and reported,
"Cliff hit one over the fence earlier! He drilled it over left field!"
I was shocked!
How fun for him!
Later in the game, the twins and I were camped out 
playing in the gravel behind the left field fence, 
no-doubt distracting him with all kinds of baby talk and attempts to 
push rocks through the fence when he left us to go bat again.
He was the lead-off hitter and when he came up to bat, I heard the opposing 
outfielders calling to each other to "back it up" for the, "big hitter."  
As I stood there watching him through the left field fence, 
before I knew it, that ball came speeding right in my direction. 
I heard the opponents sigh and before I knew it that ball 
was tumbling around behind me in the brush!
The guys in his league are all so nice. 
I figured it was okay to cheer for him after I heard the opposing left fielder yell,
"Two homers off two pitchers, way to go, Richter!"

When I saw him after the game I excitedly proclaimed, 
"You hit twin home runs!  One for Quinn and one for Ruby!"
He smiled and as he put his arm around me he whispered,
"I hit them both for you."

8 comments:

Adrian said...

how cute are you guys?! Fun!

Rhoda said...

That is such a sweet story!!!! (Next time bring your mitt--maybe he can sign any homers you catch.)

Anonymous said...

I remember stepping up to the plate in the 7th inning and seeing Betty and the babies waving at me from way out behind the left field fence. That was a pretty cool feeling to put one over the left field wall right where they were cheering for me. It was a fun day! Thanks Betty!
-CLIFF

Virginia said...

What a "fan"tastic story. Y'all are a pretty cute couple!

Miss G said...

That is so romantic!! Is this the game after we talked to you on the phone? Kelly

Lori said...

I just cried! Sweet post.

Anonymous said...

Loved it! Keep em coming!
Auntie Root

Karen Gibson said...

I just loved that last quote. How sweet and special.