Monday, February 8, 2010

Brayden's Baby Shower Cake

I recently volunteered to make a baby shower cake for precious new baby Brayden's baby shower. This was my first cake endeavor and it was fun to do. My friend, Yvonne, master cake decorator extraordinaire, walked me through every step of this easy to make cake. In an effort to remember how to do this next time, I documented the event in pictures!

First I found a font that I liked on my computer's word processing software and enlarged the letter "B" to the size of a piece of paper.
Then I flipped the B to a mirror image
and printed it!
I put the paper on the counter and taped a piece of wax paper over it.
I melted Chocolate flavored almond bark in a double boiler,
and admired the 16" cake that had come out of the oven!
Using the classic make-shift pastry bag of a ziplock bag with a corner cut off,
I piped chocolate onto the wax paper following the lines from the computer print out. I actually made 2 of these so that I could choose the best one when it was time to decorate the cake. After piping the B's with chocolate I put them on a cookie sheet and into the fridge to chill & harden.
Then I got to work making the frosting and coloring it baby blue.
Yvonne instructed me to use slips of parchment paper under the cake while frosting to keep the platter clean. I pulled them out when I was done frosting - what a great tip!
I frosted the cake,

Inverted the hardened chocolate B on top,
and wrapped a brown polka-dotted ribbon around the edge . . .
Voila!
Now it's your turn! Tell me about a cake you have decorated!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Absolutely adorable!
I used to decorate cakes for my children's birthdays. The one I remember the most was a Big Bird cake or B Bird as Jeremy used to call him. I have a Vintage Cut Out Cake book that shows how to make shape cakes by cutting square or round cakes Fun!!

Miss G said...

wowie, wow, wow, wow! You are amazing AND I like your hair, jacket and bracelets! That Yvonne knows a thing or two. Who would have thought about the parchment paper? hmmm . . . This cake looks fantastic! I'm glad you showed it to us. Now I want to see your Valentine's mantle please. :) love you, Kelly

Tami Mac said...

Hi Betty Lou! Wow! That is a beautiful cake! And so creative just like you!! Miss you!
123 Tambler

Kirsten said...

I love it! I want to try! Thanks for the tips. :-)

I miss you, Betts!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a great idea about hardening the backwards letter! I never knew about that. When I decide to start baking and desire decorating a cake, I'll try to remember that....don't know if I'll remember it in 10 years or so, but I might!!! haha. I don't bake much as you see. We did decorate a really, really cool one for Buddy (or Carter?)--my mom and I--and it was so fancy with all kinds of dinosaur toys, trees, a mt., and yummy frosting with a layer of frosting inside the cake, too. None of the kids would eat it. They said it didn't taste good. My mom and I ate a couple of pieces a day until it was gone. At least WE liked it, right? It was so cool, in my opinion. Who cares about the birthday boy's opinion, right? (kidding) Rhoda