Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hearty Roasted Tomato Soup

We were blessed with 3 bags of marked down tomatoes this week!
I washed, halved & lined them up on baking sheets
Drizzled them with olive oil, salt, pepper and plenty of garlic.
I roasted them in the oven at 375 for an hour. 
The house smelled amazing!
After roasting, I poured the entire contents of the baking tray into my big soup pot,
added broth, fresh basil and balsamic vinegar
then used an immersion blender to blend to a hearty consistency.
We enjoyed some that night and froze a few bags for later use.  
This is a recipe I made frequently when I lived in Uganda & 
it always reminds me of those days.  
Its such a fresh tasting soup!
 I'd make it more but we don't often have a surplus of tomatoes in Alaska.  
For those of you who do, here's the recipe
in PDF format, straight from my cooking journal.


Virginia said...

This sounds absolutely delicious, Betty. You're such a good cook!

Karen said...

I can almost detect the sweet smells from your kitchen.

Lori said...

that looks amazing!

Mary said...

I'm going to have to try this. It looks absolutely delicious. I love all the homemade things you do.

Miss G said...

This looks soo yummy! When Adrian makes his homemade hot sauce and the tomatoes are roasting I am just salivating!! love you, Kelly