Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hearty Roasted Tomato Soup

We were blessed with 3 bags of marked down tomatoes this week!
I washed, halved & lined them up on baking sheets
Drizzled them with olive oil, salt, pepper and plenty of garlic.
I roasted them in the oven at 375 for an hour. 
The house smelled amazing!
After roasting, I poured the entire contents of the baking tray into my big soup pot,
added broth, fresh basil and balsamic vinegar
then used an immersion blender to blend to a hearty consistency.
We enjoyed some that night and froze a few bags for later use.  
This is a recipe I made frequently when I lived in Uganda & 
it always reminds me of those days.  
Its such a fresh tasting soup!
 I'd make it more but we don't often have a surplus of tomatoes in Alaska.  
For those of you who do, here's the recipe
in PDF format, straight from my cooking journal.
Enjoy!



5 comments:

Virginia said...

This sounds absolutely delicious, Betty. You're such a good cook!

Karen said...

I can almost detect the sweet smells from your kitchen.

Lori said...

that looks amazing!

Mary said...

I'm going to have to try this. It looks absolutely delicious. I love all the homemade things you do.

Miss G said...

This looks soo yummy! When Adrian makes his homemade hot sauce and the tomatoes are roasting I am just salivating!! love you, Kelly